Originally installed in the U.S.S. Franklin D. Roosevelt, CVB-42 in
1945. This 5 inch gun, weighing over 73,000 pounds was relocated to the
LLS-1 Desert Ship at White Sands Missile Range in 1977. With this gun, the
Navy at White Sands became an integral part of the testing that took place with
Rocket Propelled Projectiles. To ensure that the gun was still
operational, warmer rounds were last fired from its barrel back in 1996.