Originally installed in the U.S.S. Franklin D. Roosevelt, CVB-42 in 1945. This 5
inch gun, weighing over 73,000 pounds was relocated to the LLS-1 Desert Ship at
White Sands Missile Range in 1977. With this gun, the Navy at White Sands became
an integral part of the testing that took place with Rocket Propelled
Projectiles, shown here just after exiting the barrel after firing. To ensure
that the gun was still operational, rounds were last fired from its barrel back
in 1996. This Gun was moved to the Museum Missile Park in 2006.
Photo from the Jerry Crouch Collection