The photo above shows USS Desert Ship, also called the Land Locked Ship Number
One (LLS-1). Construction on the Desert Ship began around 1951, five years
after the Navy first came to White Sands. The narrow openings under the sign are
windows with very thick glass so that launch operations can be observed from the
control room inside. The Desert Ship is still in use by the Navy at LC-35.
Photo from the Jerry Crouch Collection