The Viking high altitude sounding rocket was proposed by the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) to continue
atmospheric research as the supply of V-2 rockets were limited. Ten Vikings built by the Glen L. Martin Co.
were flown at White Sands between May 1949 and the end of 1955. The Viking rockets, which retained the V-2
alcohol and liquid oxygen fuel system, were capable of teaching 20,000 pounds of thrust and achieving a
maximum altitude of 158 miles. Some Viking design characteristics, several airframes plus the Gantry Crane
from LC-35 were taken to Cape Canaveral to become the Vanguard program.